MARMARA ÜNİVERSİTESİ PROFICIENCY SINAVI HAZIRLIK 2
Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık Örneği
1 – Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık ( Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık için Bireysel – Özel Ders )
2 – Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık ( Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık için 4 kişilik Gruplarla Ders )
31. It’s time we _______. If we _______ now, we’ll miss the last bus.
a) went/didn’t leave b) go/didn’t leave c) went/don’t leave d) go/don’t leave
32. Two cars collided on the highway, _______ caused a massive traffic jam.
a) which b) where c) that d) when
33. The flight was cancelled _______ the weather which was worse than expected.
a) because b) owing to c) in spite of d) although
34. “Oh, my god! You broke my antique vase, you _______ more careful!”
a) can have been b) may have been c) should have been d) must have been
35. The main idea behind _______ a lot of old buildings is _______ new green areas.
a) to demolish/to create b) demolishing/create c) to demolish/creating d) demolishing/to create
36. When you move to China, you will have to _______ with chopsticks.
a) be used to eating b) get used to eating c) used to eat d) get used to eat
37. Martin is racing down the road as if he _______ by a mad dog.
a) were being chased b) had been chasing c) were chasing d) has been chased
38. If we had stopped, there _______ a hope of getting here in time. So I’m glad we _______.
a) wouldn’t have been/hadn’t c) wouldn’t be/did
b) wouldn’t be/had d) wouldn’t have been/didn’t
B. CLOZE TEST: Mark the best choice to fill in the blanks. (39—52)
Bu bölümde, üç tane kısa parça verilecek ve parçada bırakılan boşlukları en uygun seçenekle doldurmanız istenecektir.
TEXT I: (39-45)
The first half of the 20th century was dominated by the two world wars. These wars resulted in unprecedented numbers of casualties. Eight and a half million people are believed _______(39) fighting in the First World War of 1914-1918. During the Second World War as many as 60 million people, a quarter of _______(40) were killed in Asia and the Pacific, died. _______(41) the total number of casualties in the Second World War, it is estimated that half were civilians. The scale of the killing was largely _______(42) the increasingly destructive power of weaponry. With the invention and use of the atomic bomb at the end of the Second World War, this reached _______(43) terrifying a peak that, from then on, the major powers tried to prevent local conflicts from turning _______(44) major international wars which might threaten the well-being of humankind. _______(45) this has been realised is highly debatable today.
39. a) that they died b) to have died c) having died d) to die
40. a) them b) whom c) that d) they
41. a) Of b) From c) Over d) About
42. a) with respect to b) similar to c) due to d) as to
43. a) such b) very c) too d) so
44. a) into b) down c) against d) off
45. a) If b) Why c) Whether d) That
TEXT II: (46—52)
How can you tell which plants are healthier and more productive than _______(46)? A Dutch firm has developed a portable monitor that can help _______(47) a plant’s photosynthetic potential — the ability _______(48) carbon dioxide and water into glucose. The Plant Photosynthesis Monitor _______(49) the amount of fluorescence emitted by a plant. When light hits a plant leaf, it excites chlorophyll molecules, _______(50) electronics into orbit. Some electronics take part in the photosynthesis reaction, and _______(51) generate fluorescence. The higher the level of photosynthesis, _______(52).
46. a) each other b) another c) the other d) others
47. a) predict b) predicting c) to predicting d) for predicting
48. a) that convert b) in converting c) of converting d) to convert
49. a) that is measuring b) is measuring c) measures d) that measures
50. a) that send b) sending c) which send d) sent
51. a) those that don’t b) that those don’t c) that don’t d) that don’t those
52. a) it is the plant which is less healthy c) the plant is less healthy
b) the less healthy the plant d) less healthy is the plant
PART II: READING COMPREHENSION (68 questions)
A. Answer the questions according to the information given in the texts. (53-68)
Bu bölümde, 2 tane metin verilecek ve metinleri takip eden soruları, metinlerde verilen bilgilere dayanarak cevaplandırmanız istenecektir.
TEXT I: (53-60)
San Francisco is a beautiful city in the State of California in the west of the United States. People think it is the capital of California, but it isn’t. It’s a cosmopolitan city where people from different nations live together. First, people from Spain lived there. Then came the others: Austrians, Italians, the Chinese and so on.
There are many interesting places to see in San Francisco. One of the most popular tourist attractions is Chinatown, where mostly Chinese people live. Chinatown is especially famous for its Chinese restaurants as well as its Chinese-style houses, post boxes and telephones in the streets. Therefore, this part of the town is exactly like China.
As San Francisco is near the Pacific Ocean, people enjoy going to the restaurants by the sea. Fisherman’s Wharf is one of these popular places where you can eat sea food and look at the Golden Gate Bridge, which is the symbol of San Francisco. You can watch the ships passing under it and the cars crossing it.
Another place worth visiting is Alcatraz, which was a famous prison between 1866 and 1920. Its importance in history makes it a popular tourist attraction. It is possible to take a boat trip to Alcatraz.
San Francisco is different from other American cities because it is more European. The sun always shines there, and there are a lot of things you can do at night — you can go to the nightclubs, discos, restaurants, cinemas and theatres. That’s why especially young people want to live in San Francisco.
53. San Francisco is ________.
a) the capital of California
b) different from European cities
c) a city in the U.S. where only Spanish people live
d) a city where you can see a lot of interesting places
54. ________ came to San Francisco first.
a) The Chinese b) The Spanish c) Americans d) Italians
55. The word ‘exactly’ in line 8 means ________.
a) precisely b) only c) rarely d) hardly