MARMARA ÜNİVERSİTESİ PROFICIENCY SINAVI HAZIRLIK 5
Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık Örneği
1 – Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık ( Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık için Bireysel – Özel Ders )
2 – Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık ( Marmara Üniversitesi Proficiency Sınavı Hazırlık için 4 kişilik Gruplarla Ders )
94. The team of researchers hope that the results of their study will show _______.
a) with many volunteers to become part of the study
b) how long has your liver been in such a poor condition
c) so that they will need volunteers to eat different vegetables
d) which vegetables are most effective in repairing liver damage
95. I’m afraid it will be too late _______.
a) because being punctual has been a principle of mine all my life
b) when everybody realised the extent of the disaster and decided to take action
c) considering so many people have perished from famine and drought in the region
d) by the time humans become aware of the impact of their mishandling of the environment
96. _______, he claimed that his kidnappers were actually aliens who performed gruesome tests on him.
a) Ever since the old man managed to escape from the mental hospital
b) When the man was being interviewed following his alleged abduction
c) Because the man didn’t run away from the unearthly light as it descended
d) If only people didn’t accuse him of being insane and believed what he said
E.Mark the sentence that completes the meaning of the paragraph best. (97-104)
Bu bölümde, paragrafı anlamca en doğru şekilde tamamlayacak cümleyi seçmeniz istenecektir.
97. Most young European people are expected to find a job and leave home when they are of age. Unfortunately, it then becomes difficult for them to save money when much of what they earn is spent on bills or mortgage payments for their residence. _______. Not only is this a rent-saving option, it is also an investment and can be sold again at a future date.
a) With such high property prices, most people feel discouraged about living alone
b) It has occurred to some to cut costs by buying a caravan and installing it on a cheap piece of land
c) Living at home with one’s parents until marriage has come back into fashion for just this reason
d) Young couples sometimes wait years on a long list before they are allotted a home by their council
98. Essayist, historian, and writer of stories, Washington Irving was the first of the great American writers. The Sketch Book is the most widely known of his works. _______. In these, he used the legends that the descendants of the old Dutch settlers had told him — the mysterious tale of the return of Hendrick Hudson and his men and the ghost story of the headless horseman. Other charming sketches by Irving are his essays on Westminster Abbey and on Shakespeare Country.
a) Before Irving’s time, Europe had regarded American authors chiefly as curiosities
b) Irving was born in 1783 in New York City, in a town about half Dutch, half English
c) It contains the classic stories, “Rip van Winkle” and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”
d) During a journey to England, Irving met many famous authors who gave him inspiration and encouragement
99. Pakistan has much to offer — from the ruins of the 5000-year-old Indus Valley Civilisation at Mohenjo-Daro to the Moghul splendour of Lahore; from the Buddhist remains at Taxila to the bustling bazaars of Peshawar. _______. The Karakoram range extends right across the Pakistani side of Kashmir, from Baltistan in the east to the central region of Hunza, linking up in the west, towards the Afghan border, with the towering Hindu Kush. The range contains the densest concentration of high peaks on the planet, as well as nurturing the longest glaciers in the world outside the polar regions.
a) Peshawar is also quite famous for its illicit arms markets
b) Pakistan is not generally thought of as a tourist destination
c) But the most enticing attraction for many tourists is the mountainous north
d) Almost no Buddhists remain in Pakistan, however, as the country is now almost wholly Muslim
100. The English language has about 44 major sounds but 26 letters. This is because letters do not sound the same, even when they are used in words that appear similar. In the example of the word forms choose and chose, the ‘o’ sounds differ between them. _______. Someone hearing the words sealing and ceiling, for instance, cannot know which word is meant except by its context in a sentence or paragraph.
a) Misuse of the language can have serious consequences in society
b) Poor spelling leads to poor pronunciation and to the misuse of language
c) On the other hand, some words sound the same but are spelt differently
d) There are some successful methods that make learning how to spell somewhat easier